Re: Suggestions for front spring compression

To: pdgrafelman@hotmail.com, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Suggestions for front spring compression
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:05:55 EST
In a message dated 1/21/2005 9:57:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pdgrafelman@hotmail.com writes:

I'm  trying to install my new firmer front springs onto Spax adjustable
shocks.  The local autoparts store has a compressor that they loan out, but
the  'fingers' don't fit between the coils, even when it's uncompressed. I'm
thinking that a machine shop will be bale to help, but does anyone know
where to get a compressor that will work?

=========
You might try finding a local mechanic who has a Tokico spring/strut
compressor. These are hard to find (and apparently no longer available new?)
but
worth their weight in gold, IMHO. If you've ever seen a Volvo jack, it works a
lot like that, with a very easy-to-turn crank and external "fingers" that hold
and then compress the coils. Takes about 5-10 minutes to compress the spring
and  then R&R the shock (not including the time you spend R&R'ing the
spring/shock unit from the car).

Someday I'm going to borrow my friend's Tokico compressor and take it and
one of my Volvo jacks to a welder/fabricator and see if I can't come up with a
"home version" of this. ;-)

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and Triumph Herald
Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)