RE: Suggestions for front spring compression

To: Paul Grafelman <pdgrafelman@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Suggestions for front spring compression
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:24:51 -0000
Before I tell you my solution, I'll say that I strongly recommend not
following this method if you value your own life and limbs.  Having said
that, here is the information, do with it what you will.

This applied more to removing a spring from a shock, rather than fitting it,
but the method could probably be adapted.  I sat the car on axle stands,
then used a jack under the suspension to compress the spring.  I tied a
number of winds of strong baler twine around the compressed spring, before
releasing the jack.  After a bit of movement to load up the baler twine, the
spring remained compressed.

If you could find something really solid against which you could brace the
spring while compressing it with a jack, this might work.  But there's a
scary amount of energy stored in that compressed spring, so this is really
not a health-and-safety approved method!

Richard Gosling

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.