Re: Replacing a thrust washer w/o removing engine?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing a thrust washer w/o removing engine?
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:30:21 -0500
>From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@charter.net>
>To: s1500@comcast.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Replacing a thrust washer w/o removing engine?
>Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:23:10 -0500
>
>I replaced main, rod and thrust bearings in my 76 without removing the
>engine - all but the top half of #1 main - I couldn't get the old one out,
>and didn't want to force it.  The top halves weren't worn too bad.  It was
>dirty, hard uncomfortable work, but maybe I saved some time.  I was lucky
>that the crank didn't seem to be too worn.  I did this last winter, and put
>about 2000 miles on the car over the summer, without anything breaking.  I
>will be rebuilding a spare motor this winter, so I won't have to depend on
>it next year.

If it makes you feel any better, I did this over 25,000 miles ago to
boost very low oil pressure and haven't had any problems since.
Obviously a proper rebuild is the best solution, but I simply did not
have the money to do so and I have to figure that a half hearted
rebuild is better than no rebuild.  Especially since it seems like bottom
end problems are usually the killer on 1500's, from the pistons and up,
these motors are close to indestructable.  So I've decided to replace
the thrust washers and rod/main bearings every 50,000 miles or so
and see if I can make the rest of the engine last forever.

Best!

Greg Rowe

===     http://www.vtr.org