Re: Replacing a thrust washer w/o removing engine?

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing a thrust washer w/o removing engine?
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:59:13 -0500
At 05:35 PM 12/1/05, John T. Blair wrote:
>At 09:23 PM 11/30/2005 -0500, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
>

> >I replaced main, rod and thrust bearings in my 76 without removing
> >the engine - all but the top half of #1 main - I couldn't get the old
> >one out, and didn't want to force it.....
>
>Jeff,
>
>If you did mains, than I assume that you dropped the crank.  Did you
>mike the crank, or just visually inspect it?  Did you go back with standard
>size bearings?

I didn't drop the crank, just loosened the main caps.  I would remove
one cap, then use a small screwdriver to ~carefully~ start the old
top half out.  Then you can shove the new top half in, making very
sure to get the tang properly lined up with the notch in the saddle.

I did my best to mike the crank, it seemed OK, but my bearings didn't
look too bad.  One rod journal was a little rough - I could feel a
little material on it as I ran my fingernail across it, but you
couldn't see anything -  so I *gasp* smoothed it with a bit of fine
emery cloth tape.  Kids, don't try this at home...  I went back with
standard bearings, since the crank seemed to be OK.

All things being equal, if I were to do it again, I would pull the
motor just to change the seals and do everything else while I was at
it.  At the time, I didn't have access to a crane and engine stand,
but I do now...

Jeff Scarbrough

===     http://www.vtr.org