Re: Windshield removal

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield removal
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:09:40 -0500
At 10:45 PM 12/16/2005 +0000, David Mayer wrote:
>Hello all,
>  I am planning on removing my windshield this weekend.  I am assuming that
>it is pretty straight forward but i just wanted to know if there are any
>tips for getting it out without dropping it.  Any Advise?

Dave,

I assume you know that the gasket is like an "S" with one lip going over
the windshield and the other lip going around the lip of the window frame.

While you can remove the windshield by working on the inside of the car and
rolling the gasket up over the lip and carefully pressing out on the
windshield, I'm found the safest and best way is to consider the gasket a
throw away.  If you assume that you are going to replace the gasket,
the take a good sharp razor blade and work from the outside of the car,
and cut the lip that hold the gasket to the windshield.  Once the lip
is cut off, the windshield will easily lift out.  After the windshield
is out, you can pull the rest of the gasket off and throw it away.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan