Vibration/Noise

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Vibration/Noise
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:45:53 EST
Hello folks,

Our 1980 Spitfire is making a noise/vibration that seems to be speed-based. I
can't say at what exact speed as the speedo has decided to take a little time
off, but it occurs at 3000-4000 rpm in 4th. It is really a vibration, but you
hear it moreso than feel it. It's probably been there for a while, but with
the hardtop on, I can hear it better.

The noise is like a loud, very low hum, sort of like feedback from a
sub-woofer, loud enough to make conversation difficult. I suspect the
driveshaft,
(which I replaced with a used unit a while back, previous unit had a serious
vibration @ 50mph) but before I pull it and replace it (again), I wonder if
anyone
else has encountered such a problem and solved it somehow.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Tom Burke

===     http://www.vtr.org