RE: U-Joint bolts

To: "'Nolan'" <foxtrapper@ispwest.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: U-Joint bolts
From: "Rarebits" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:46:59 -0000

For the earlier Spitfires at least, the factory part numbers differ between
the propshaft and halfshaft (driveshaft) bolts. The parts have the same
physical dimensions with the unthreaded shanks, the difference is presumably
down to the material grades used. The halfshaft bolts need to deal with the
additional suspension stresses, so an increased specification would be
logical. Most (all?) suppliers have settled on a single bolt type for these
applications.
I don't know if the same was true of the later cars with their larger
driveshaft bolts, I don't have such comprehensive references for those cars.
If anyone would like the factory part numbers then I can dig these out and
post them later, just ask,
Cheers,
Bill.

Rarebits4classics