Re: Brake fluid

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake fluid
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:44:07 -0500
Not all brake fluids are the common glycol ether.  Citroen used an oil based
fluid, and I think Jaguar did as well.

Brake fluid has several requirements that negate the use of typical oils or
other fluids.  It's got to stay thin and flow well, no matter how cold it
gets.  It also can't freeze in those colds.  High boiling temperature to
deal with the heat in the caliper is also necessary.  These end up knocking
out most fluids, motor oils and the like most notably.  They become way to
thick to work right in the cold.  You'll end up cavitating the master
cylinder, which makes stopping very interesting after a few pedal strokes.

DOT standards regarding wet boiling temperature also come into play as this
has to do with water.  Something that gets into every caliper exposed to
rain and puddles.  A good fluid will suspend the water, preventing it from
boiling at 212 degrees.  Not sure how DOT plays this with silicone fluids.