Yippee, it runs!

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Yippee, it runs!
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:14:34 -0400
Rejoice!

The Spitfire runs!  After nearly a year off the road.

Had no trouble firing up the engine.  I squirted a bit of oil in each
plug hole (probably not necessary but what the heck, it seemed like a
good idea), attached a portable jumper-battery and cranked it a bit
with no coil wire to load up the oil filter (with cold oil, of course
:-), attached the coil wire, gave it a bit of starting ether into the
air intake, turned the key, and vrooom it's running fine and dandy,
smooth as silk.  Remove battery, close hood, listen to that sweet
music...

The brake PDWA light did not turn on, but I know the bulb is good
because the handbrake turns it on.  So that wasn't a problem (gotta'
go check the wiring just to be sure).  And the brake pedal is firm.

The clutch was stuck tho', not good.  Hmmm, with the engine off put
the tranny in reverse, depress the clutch pedal, hit the starter, and
the car jumps and the engine starts, driving the car backwards.  Oh
well, at least it's now in the street instead of the driveway.  Hit
the brakes, and the engine stalls.  Hmmmmmm.  Try again, in 1st gear
this time.  The car jumps forward, the engine starts, driving the car
forward.  Okay, try going around the block, hitting the brakes
occsionally.  It still tries to stall the engine if I let it slow
down enough.  Hmmmmmmm, back in front of the house take it out of
gear, swear a few times, try again, bumping the starter to break the
clutch free.  Still no go.  Try different swear words.  Try again.
Wonder what else to try.  Hit the starter again, the car jumps and
whadayaknow, the clutch is free!  Yaaaaay!

Drive a few blocks, try the OD...it works!  Admittedly I'm doing only
30mph.  GO back to the driveway, check the lights, need to replace a
burned out backup light before it will pass inspection.

Drive the GT6+ to Autozone for some bulbs and to a store to pick up
some celebration fluid.  Damn, this beer tastes good.  Ipswich Ale,
in case you're wondering.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com