Transmission removal project.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission removal project.
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:25:38 +0000
An so begun has the great winter project of removing the transmission. I've
completed 2 days of work, and still the thing isn't out. Ugh.  Those 4 nut &
bolt combos on the flange at the rear were a royal pain. The black cowling
around it made it almost impossible to get a wrench back there. The almost
nonexistant gap between the nut(or bolt head) and the inner part of the flange
gave very little angle to work with. Oh, and if you move it around, the car
moves back & forth. Either way, with some persitence, I got the 4 flange bolts
off.

With the magic of air tools, the bellhousing bolts came off. Among the worst
offenders were the bolts holding on the starter motor, which, due to clearence,
required me to do it one-handed with a ratchet & plain spanner.  The clutch
slave cylinder? Won't budge(even after loosening pinch bolt), so I drained the
fluid and removed the hydraulic line. Darn, and I just re-bleeded it too this
summer.

The only thing I have yet to unbolt is the mounting plate near the rear. Once
that is unbolted, I assume then the transmission is loose? I have yet to remove
the exhaust(next step), and then build some support underneath. i assume then
the transmission will hopefully come loose. With 12 hours of prep
work(removing/labelling wires, interior gutting), just getting the transmission
out is a longer process than I thought.

BTW what's up with the weird list behavior? It's no longer
multiple-messages-per daily format, but separate digests for 1 or 2 posts, or a
whole bunch of posts every couple of days.

===     http://www.vtr.org