Re: Transmission removal project.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transmission removal project.
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:31:57 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: s1500@comcast.net

...Those 4 nut & bolt combos on the flange at the rear were a royal
pain....

==AM==
Those I always tackle pretty much first (after the interior and tunnel
are out of the way) while the car is still on the ground. Admittedly
it's a tight squeeze, but a box wrench on the bolt head and an open end
on the nyloc usually work pretty quickly for me.

==AM==

...The clutch slave cylinder? Won't budge(even after loosening pinch
bolt), so I drained the
fluid and removed the hydraulic line. Darn, and I just re-bleeded it
too this
summer.

==AM==
Can't you simply undo the two bolts holding the bracket into which the
cylinder goes, and swing the entire assembly out of the way? or is this
a single-rail gearbox with some arrangement of the slave cylinder that
I'm not remembering?
==AM==

The only thing I have yet to unbolt is the mounting plate near the
rear. Once
that is unbolted, I assume then the transmission is loose? I have yet
to remove
the exhaust(next step), and then build some support underneath.

==AM==
I usually undo the nuts on the rubber mounts rather than try to remove
the mount plate itself; less to get in the way whilst dragging the
gearbox out through the interior!
==AM==

  i assume then the transmission will hopefully come loose. With 12
hours of prep
work(removing/labelling wires, interior gutting), just getting the
transmission
out is a longer process than I thought.

==AM==
Maybe I've had far too much practice over the years. ;-) Granted,  a
Herald interior is easier to strip out, but I can get the gearbox out
of the Herald by myself in about 90 minutes.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>
across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

===     http://www.vtr.org