Re: [Spits] GT6 Bump Steer

To: <Windoseat@aol.com>,<spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] GT6 Bump Steer
From: "Chris Crisenbery" <ccrisenbery@fellerfinch.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:45:29 -0400
Hi Greg and the rest of the lists,

Bumpsteer is certainly present in the Spitfire and I'm sure in the GT6
as well.  If you want to see it in action take a jack place under your
front cross member, take 2 -  2X4 and lay parallel with your front
tires, measure roughly the toe setting of your tires and then raise the
jack up 1 inch and remeasure (make sure you reset the 2X4 against the
tires or you will show the same toe setting :^)

I know Rick Cline - he builds many of the parts I use on my SCCA
Spitfire and even he will admit tires have came a long way since he was
racing.  With that said street tires probably aren't as touchy as a 200
degree racing slick to steering input.  We bump steer (adjust) the car
every time we do a complete suspnsion alignment.  My limited prep
Spitfire has less than an 1/8in change in its toe setting over 3 inches
of suspension travel.  My highly modified suspension has zero toe change
over 4 inches of suspension travel (2 in bump and 2 in droop)

Greg I'm located in Jackson and would be happy to help you bump steer
your GT6 and I believe it will make it a better driving car with very
little work.  If anyone else is interested I could detail out the steps
needed to do it in your own garage...but it won't happen for a couple of
weeks as I'm leaving for Topeka Friday for a National race and then
Gingerman (near South Haven) is the very next week after I get back.

ccrisenbery@fellerfinch.com

Christopher E. Crisenbery, P.E.
Feller, Finch & Associates, Inc.
2797 Spring Arbor Rd., Suite B