Re: [Spits] help on mounting 1500 hardtop needed

To: Harve Thorn <maya2blue@juno.com>, nass@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [Spits] help on mounting 1500 hardtop needed
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 05:34:03 -0700 (PDT)
--- Harve Thorn <maya2blue@juno.com> wrote:

> Greetings...
>
> I am mounting my hardtop for the first time and have
> a few questions :)
>
> A. It appears from various illustrations that the
> two spacer tubes at the
> front mount with the flanged end up - against the
> hardtop.. Correct?

Yes.  Don't leave the spacers out- they keep the
gasket from getting totally crushed.

> B. What bolt is needed for the front connection
> (through the spacer tube)
>  I see and read references to both a headed bolt and
> an all-threaded
> bolt. The front bolts that I have are headed. Which
> is supposed to be
> used?

I have original bolts.  They are 2-inch bolts,
all-threaded, with domed heads and pointed on the
other end (to make them easier to install).  They had
a black oxide finish, and the heads were also painted
black.

The exact amount of threads does not matter, as long
as the part that screws into the hardtop has threads.

> C. I have read several comments re the "underside of
> the hardtop where it
> rests on the read edge."  Apparently the top can
> damage the paint on the
> rear deck. I have the "seals" that are noted in the
> various catalogs. I
> have read that different people have done different
> things to protect
> this area - everything from thicker "seals" to using
> the "c" shaped
> chrome door edge guard molding to trim the bottom
> edge. Suggestions?

There are supposed to be 4 rubber blocks: two round
the rear bolts, and two sort of trapezoid-shaped ones
just in front if the quarter windows. These can get
compressed with age- assuming they are all present,
you may have to add a later of sheet rubber to them.

In any case, it is very tricky to install the top
without denting the rear deck of the car.  I suggest
putting a towel over the rear deck, setting the
hardtop in place over the towel, attaching the front
bolts, and then lifting the rear of the hardtop up
just enough to pull the towel out.  It helps a lot to
have an attentive, motivated helper or two, not one
that is annoyed because you dragged them away from
their favorite video game...

Doug