Serial Numbers (Was: who's new on this list)

To: "Larry Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, <BRUCE48127@aol.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Serial Numbers (Was: who's new on this list)
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 08:23:07 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Good morning, Spridgeteers!
This is the second post I've seen this morning making comment about
including the serial numbers of the cars in the
sig line.  Since I am regularly guilty of this, I would like to explain why
I do it.  It certainly is not an attempt to impress
anyone.
Larry Macy has a 78 Midget.  So do (thousands?)  of other people.  Maybe
it's white.  So are hundreds of other Midgets.
Maybe it has wire wheels.  So do a lot of other Midgets.  What makes his
car absolutely unique from all other '78 Midgets is its serial number.    I
am interested in the history of my cars, and it is the serial number that
makes it possible to trace history.  I cite the serial numbers in my sig
line to encourage others to do the same.  It says:  "I own this specific
car, not just another '73 Midget.  It is important to me -- it may not be
important to anyone else.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt."  -- Mark Twain