Re: Brake Lines

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Brake Lines
From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:12:18 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Larry,
I recently manufactured a new clutch line for my '59 Bugeye. The PO had
done a poor job of making one. He routed it front of the heater box. He
also did not allow for stress relief from the movement of the engine.
Consequently, I could not keep the 4 or 5 air fittings attaching the pipe
to the slave cylinder tight.

I got the 5/16" pipe in two 5 foot sections from my local Advance Auto
Parts store (no affiliation). I used the CORRECT hydraulic fittings (where
found) from my old pipe and my local LBC mechanic gave me the other ones I
needed.  He also let me use his BUBBLE flaring tool that looked like it
came straight from the pages of the Sprite Workshop Manual.  I made up the
pipe in 2 sections joining just behind the blower motor. The second section
(going down to the slave cylinder) has 3 2" loops in it to compensate for
the engine movement. I literally used a 2" diameter pipe for that task.  It
looks rather professional if I must say so myself. Functional too!

I plan on doing the brake line the same way with the same materials. It
will not have the loops in it though since the line does not move.  The
whole works cost me about $10. I was not charged for the fittings or the
use of the bubble flair tool though.

Good luck,
Jeff Church

----------
> From: Larry G. Miller <millerls@classic.msn.com>
> To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: Brake Lines
> Date: Thursday, October 23, 1997 9:35 AM
>
> Hi All
>
> Just thought I would start a new thread on another brake related subject.
 Has
> anyone evey made their own brake lines for a Spridget? If you have, what
type
> of material did you use? What type of flares? what type of fittings?
Where