Re: I bought the Bugeye . . Yea!!

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: I bought the Bugeye . . Yea!!
From: george procyshyn <geopro@cyberdrive.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 21:21:08 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ulix;
Shameless lies my hubcaps!  Bet you feel safe and sound in Pullman don't
you!!  Chortle, Chortle Chortle . . . At present we are in Houston and
heading for Galveston tomorrow, Sprite in tow.  This is NO imagination,
that would have been cheaper but a lot colder and no fun.

Actually the way I look at it, I could have had this car shipped home or
taken the vacation to pick it up.  Cost about the same either way, and I
had two weeks of time I could take so I figure I'm getting pretty much a
free vacation.

Tomorrow nite when we get back to Houston, Penny and I are going to have
dinner with Leo Speichinger (from this list) and see his Bugeye restoration
in progress and his neighbors two Metropolitans and tell many lies. Penny
said I should have said "swap" many lies but I think Leo is a truthful
soul, so it'll just be me lying.

I'll make a point of telling you what is under the old carpet when I take
it out.  If it IS the rubber matting I'll be sure to go naa naa naa, (sorry
list).

Now paraphrasing Paul Harvey, here's the REST of the saga (so far at least)
 I also found another early Bugeye in Dallas. For a bit I thought I was
going to be able to buy a second early '58.  And a very special one at
that.  It was written up in Thourobred & Classic. This car is AN5 518 . . .
. that is the 18th bugeye produced, an original yellow and I'm sure one of
the very earliest still in existence. I called the guy, went out to see it
only to find out that he didn't want to sell it after all. Rough body,
usual rust, smashed/poorly repaired rear quarter. Serious bodywork
required. Good running wrong engine, poor electricals, poor interior,
scratched windscreen,  but not beyond restoration considering it's
pedigree.  Worth $1500. - $2000. He wouldn't take $3500.

The shame of the whole thing is that he's stripping it down to "restore" it
and his version of restoration is to drop in a 1275, disk brakes, and paint
it Red.  He WANTS a hot bugeye/spridget and a historical example is going
to suffer big time for it.

I'm still going to work on him as he doesn't seem the type to complete as
ambitious a project as this.  If and when he tires maybe I'll be able to
get it after all.

In closing Ulix, yes she did want (the yellow that I bought) the car to go
to good hands, but she certainly did also want something more to appease
her suffering and  the anguish of selling a 39 year friend. ie MY cash!!
and a big enough chunk to cause ME a bit of anguish.  But isn't this what
car collecting and the love of LBC's is all about.

Regards GP