License holder.

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: License holder.
From: as@boris.umds.ac.uk (A.D.Smith)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:25:24 GMT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
   >>>From: Amy Turner <ltturner@cococo.net>

   >>>We stayed in the middle of London and saw plenty of lovely cars.
   >>>I'm guessing we saw two or three MGBs a week, too, but I don't recall
   >>>seeing any Sprites or Midgets on the road.

Only 2 or 3 B's a week.  Doesn't sound a lot.  I'd guess I see that many
at least, every day round London.  There are more B's in London than anywhere
I've lived in Britain.  If you go to Hampstead or somewhere like that, where
lots of rich peeps live, you'll see hundreds of the monsters.

Midgets and sprites are pretty common too, probably see a couple a week on
the roads.  And mine parked outside the flat of course!

   >>>The second item is a license holder.  It's a round chrome frame that
   >>>screws to the windshield frame and holds a blue license.  Question:
   >>>What is that license?  Where can I get one?  It was just so British, I
   >>>got it, but I wasn't able to locate an old license to put inside it.
   >>>I'll pay a reasonable price to anyone who has one of these.

The round "license" is the "Road Fund Licence", more commonly referred to
as a "Tax Disk".  It's proof that you've paid your annual tax on using the
roads, which at the moment is GBP 145  per year, with cars over 25 years
old recently having being exempted from paying.

You have to buy one each year from the post office, and produce proof that
the car is insured and has passed an MOT test (annual safety check) before
they'll sell you one.

I've got all my old ones at home, kind of souvenirs of the cars life, useful
when selling a car over here as a proof that you've had the car on the road
for as long as you're saying you have.

I'm sure someone will have one lying around they'll happily pass on.  I'll
see if I can find an old one from one of they other cars that I don't mind
parting with.

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.            | a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Computational Imaging Science.    | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/a.d.smith/
5th Floor, Thomas Guy House       | tel. : 0171 955 4223
Guys Hospital, London SE1 9RT.    | fax. : 0171 378 7480

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.