The tale of two Midgets

Subject: The tale of two Midgets
From: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 20:30:21 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
While all my effort has been concentrated around the
black 73's engine, I decided to fill the bores of the
yellow 72's engine with oil (I want to try to start it one
day).
Here's one difference I've noted between the two:
The 73 has two hoses that look a whole lot like the
oil cooler hoses on my 76 B.  One goes from the back
of the block and is cut, then is spliced, then joins
the hose going to the filter.  The whole assembly is
about 2 ft long.
The 72 has a nice, concise 8 inch or so metal pipe
to accomplish the same task.  So I guess some DPO
removed the oil cooler in the last 24 years.

As before mentioned, I want to try to start the car
as soon as I get un-lazy enough to take a battery out
there.  I have oiled the bores and I plan to again because
I don't know how good the engine is and I don't want to
break a ring. Some suggested rocking the car in
4th to free the motor rather than straining the starter.
One problem: where the metal stick goes into the transmission,
I don't have the housing to hold the stick down. So I don't know
which gear I'm in and I can pick up the stick and remove it.
So I need one of those now (anybody have one laying around
CHEAP)...it's just the piece w/ 3 bolts going through.  Moss
doesn't show a part number.

I removed the fuel tank from the 73 today to find rust holes
accounting for about 10 sq inches of rust :(

Midgets can be so fun!

Tyson
http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman