Re: SU Carbs and misc.

To: Chas Douglass <chasd@halcyon.com>
Subject: Re: SU Carbs and misc.
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:49:42 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Chas Douglass wrote:

> I've started disassembling the carbs.  There is a rust-red clay-like
> substance gumming up the float chamber.  What is this stuff?  It's caked
> about 1/2" deep in the bottom of the float chamber, and some more caked
> around the jet.

That is rust from your tank.  I had a real problem with my car when the
stuff kept clogging one of my carbs.  It is too fine to be filtered out
by a regular fuel filter.  I bought a new tank.  To my disappointment, the
NEW tank showed signs of beginning rust spots on the inside.  In
retrospect, I shouldn't have accepted the tank (bought from VB, had Moss
Europe written on it) for my problem came back, if only rarely.  I then
installed a $20 fuel filter from Summit Racing that supposedly filters
down to extremely small particle size.  Two years later, the same filter
still installed and I only had this problem pop up twice.  Both times,
turning off the engine and restarting "fixed" it.

> In cleaning the outside of the float chamber, I'm not sure whether I'm
> removing paint or just caked on gunk.  Should these be painted?  Or left
> bare metal?

I think they are supposed to be bare.

> Chas Douglass -- Seattle WA

Ulix -- also Seattle WA