Re: Question about serial numbers, etc.

To: Tim Osborne <timos@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Question about serial numbers, etc.
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 10:38:58 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Tim Osborne wrote:

> Help is requested from the cognoscenti:
>
> All of the various books I have describe the serial number of my newly
> acquired Sprite MkIV as being on a plate on the inner left hand wheel
> valance.  Unfortunately, the PO or someone else (I have no knowledge as I
> bought the car at a public auction) removed this plate, and the motor plate,
> and the bonnet badge.  The car is in far too good a shape for a reasonable
> owner to have removed them for a quick buck; maybe something shady happened.
> The boot lock had been forcibly (but not completely destructively) opened,
> so I suspect it was vandalized by someone knowledgeable.
>
> Q1:
> At any rate, the VIN number on the previous (legal) title matches a number I
> found on the chassis, except for the leading H present on the title but
> absent from the chassis.  This number is stamped on a frame member near the
> front right damper (I'm literally 400 miles from the car right now, forgive
> my inexactness).  This location is never mentioned in the books - is it
> reasonable to assume this number would/should match the little valance
> plate?  Is this frame number only on some obscure knockoff, and I've been
> had?  It is apparently a valid number with all the correct codes, not a
> paint code or anything like that.

To my knowledge, the VIN should not be stamped into the car anywhere.
Stamped numbers are usually body numbers which differ from the VIN.  I
would have to check books (or my car) at home to see what # (if any)
should be stamped near the right damper.
I would be tempted to just go with what you have if the DMV doesn't mind
it.

> Q2:
> Can I get a reproduction plate that I can have stamped and reattach to the
> left valance?  Is there a database somewhere that would tell me what the
> engine plate number should have been for this particular car?

Yes, but I don't remember where.  Others on this list do.

> Q4:
> Finally, is there a source of bonnet badges less cheesy than the China-made
> plastic one I got from one of the usual suppliers?  I would imagine the
> original was something more substantial.

I think the original was just as plasticy and cheesy.  I couldn't believe
it either.

> tim, a completely obsessed new LBC fan

Welcome to the club!

                                                           '67 Sprite