Midget MkIV rear brake 3/16fem-3/16fem adapter: WHERE?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Midget MkIV rear brake 3/16fem-3/16fem adapter: WHERE?
From: mumsy <mumford@rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 16:43:18 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi list -

I bought braided steel lines to replace the three rubber brake lines on
my '79 midget.

The front two were a snap.

The rear, however, isn't.  When I disconnected the original rubber hose,
it twisted the brake line in two.  So I went to buy another - but I
can't find an adapter to fit the braided steel line to the normal steel
lines that runs up the car to the master cylinder!!!  I went to 6
different hardware and auto stores, NOBODY has the adapter I need!

It's a female-female 3/16" adapter, but here's the scoop - all the "line
joiners" that I could find had shallow fittings.  The guy at NAPA went
so far as to say in "all his years, he's never seen an adapter that had
a deeper fitting."  The PROBLEM is that the braided steel line doesn't
have any thread for the first 1/8" or so on the end of it, so it won't
catch the thread to this joiner and therefore I can't connect it to the
brake line!

Pictorally, here's what I have:

                __       ___
               /  \     |   |
      ------>  |  |      | |      and can take the standard line joiner
      |        |  |      | |      piece that any auto store has.

  This is the end connector of
  the braided steel line - it is
  the correct diameter but there's
  no thread on the tip - it can't
  fit into the shallow opening of
  the standard 3/16" connector.

Can anybody help?  Everyone around here tells me that there's no way I
can connect these lines and nobody has ever heard of such a crazy
thing.  They are coming close to convincing me that I'm nuts.

eric

--
 __.o,\____  Go, Lil' Racer! * Eric C. Mumford
/__ \ /  _ ) 1979 MG Midget  * mumford@rpi.edu