Re: YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL NUTS [was: Tis the Season]

To: "Eric Mumford" <mumford@rpi.edu>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL NUTS [was: Tis the Season]
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 22:22:14 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Eric,
As you and I discussed previously, the obsession doesn't go away.  On the
way in from unplugging the Christmas lights tonight, I had to sit in the
Bugeye for a second - it's rained 10 inches here this week and I've only
driven it once and it's driving me crazy.  You know how LBC's all have that
"smell"?  That and the smell of 90 wt gear oil always relax me.

I was lucky when I was 18 and got my first car, an MGB - my father was an
immigrant's kid amongst blue bloods at Cornell University in the '50s, and
he always wished he could turn his '51 Chevy into an MGTC like they all
drove, so he was sympathetic to my needs.  He'd seen it coming for quite
some time -- when I was less than 3 yrs old I cried because he was looking
at new E-types very seriously and ended up coming home with a Vette.  I
know how you feel about being a dying breed - when I was in junior high
school everyone was drawing Burt Reynold's Trans Am from Smokey & Bandit on
their notebooks while I was sketching frontal views of Lotus 7's and
Bugeyes.

Don't sweat the career thing - my Physics classes bored the s**t out of me
too.  It does get better - now I get to play with airplanes, fly missions
(as a civilian ride along), and get lots of surplus aircraft grade nuts and
bolts all while getting paid!  The best part is noone ever asks you to
recite Maxwell's or Schroedinger's Equations in the real world.  I'm doing
the masters now in a very unrelated field, and in fact enjoy the psych and
writing classes much more than I ever did Diff Eqs (although those I
actually do use).   These things always seemed the worst during finals
week...

Enjoy your cars, and get those around you into the obsession by taking them
for rides, to shows, etc.   In the mean time, take that shot of Jack's,
read some Peter Egan articles and you'll feel better in the morning.

Ron
(1 LBC at the moment, but always looking)