Re: YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL NUTS [was: Tis the Season]

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL NUTS [was: Tis the Season]
From: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 11:34:58 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Eric,

Listen...you AND your father have to make some changes.

You need to do what makes the most sense for you right now.  I was there
once too (well, still am).  It's so difficult to get down to business, and
focus on school or work when there's this LBC out there.

But you HAVE to prioritize.

I had to let one of my cars sit for 2 years until I was in a position to
resume work.  But it was worth it!!  The car needed an engine rebuild.
Because I waited I was able to have it done professionally, because I was
in a much better financial position.  I know it may seem like the toughest
thing, but you have to do what's right.

I recently put a 5 speed into the car, and bought a new differential for
it.  Before, I had to scrape just to get a couple tires put on it, or to
get a set of brake pads.

I, too, lost a girlfriend (of 7 years) because I spent way to much time on
a car and didn't pay attention to what it was doing to her and us.  I just
recently got married to a wonderful woman, who is supportive but not active
in my car hobby, but I will never again let anything like a car ruin a
relationship.  One with a mate, or a family member.

I also had loads of cars all over my parents property through the years,
but 2 years ago I bought a house, mainly so I'd have a place to put my LBCs
(4 right now).  It was tough at times.  They weren't always happy about it.
Things are great now though.  My father helps me with my cars, and we get
along great.

I also think that you should sell one of your cars and focus on the other.
I know it seems like it's a 'bird in the hand' type situation, but I
promise...when you are out of school and have a great job, you will find a
much better example of whatever it is that you sold, and it will be less
expensive than what you would have to spend to make yours as nice.  I
wouldn't have beleived this either, but I'm now living it.

About your father...If there are any British car shows near where you live,
you should take him.  Buy him lunch...let him see all the smiling faces of
the people who own cars like yours.  People who can tell him why these
things are so important to them (and shed some light on why it's so
important to you).  He can see all the couples and families who own, and
work on, and show off their LBCs.

Basically, do what's right right now.  Live a little for today, a little
for tomorrow, not too much of one or the other, but where it's needed most.
Help your dad understand, but try to understand why he doesn't.  Asking him
to help you understand why he feels the way he does may help him understand
the way you feel.

OK...I've rambled enough.
CTP

65 Midget