Re: paint question

To: "BUG GUY 61" <BUGGUY61@aol.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: paint question
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 15:25:30 +1100
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The bad news is that it is almost certainly a case of rust regrowth at
the T section. Once there is rust in there I don't think there is anything
you'll be able to do for a permanent fix unless you have the panels
picked apart and re-joined with a new 'T'.

5 years isn't so bad...

The guy who has worked on my bugeye dribbles a phosphoric acid
solution onto the join each day for a few weeks. He cleans it up each day,
re-dribbles the solution and repeats every morning. All this was after a
full phosphoric acid dip of the whole bonnet! (this minimises the rust on
the
*inside* of the bonnet where the panels (fender part & center part) are
joined with the 'T'.

He says that with an crylic paint 5 years is a great result. You may do
considerably better with a 2-pack paint job.

Mike

Mike Gigante                                       mikeg@vicnet.net.au
Watsons Creek Vineyard                     http://www.vicnet.net.au/~mikeg