Re: Silicon switch-over

To: James D Rowan <jimrowan@uic.edu>
Subject: Re: Silicon switch-over
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 20:17:23 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

James D Rowan wrote:

> Can people who have done the
> change-over comment on their experiences (positive or negative) and, or
> point me in the direction of articles or reference sources.
>
> Much thanks,
> Jim Rowan

I have recently made the switch to silicone.
A friend of mine has had it in his Healey for ten years now without any
problems. He never added a drop since 1987 and all is still fine.

I just did an entire hydraulic system on an Austin A40 using silicone, yes
it's new but no problems, I also found it no harder to bleed then regular DOT
4 (don't shake the bottle)

I am currently changing over my 60 Sprite to silicone, waiting on new rear
wheel cylinders to complete the job.

As for spongy pedal, I can't tell the difference. (Ever feel a hard British
car pedal?)
The stuff isn't cheap but neither is a paint job!
I would replace all the seal kits before changing though.

--
Frank Clarici
Too many Sprites