Re: steering shaft bushings II

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: steering shaft bushings II
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 19:02:03 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Jeff Boatright wrote:

> The steering wheel, tube, and shaft are out and things look different from
> what my local Moss reseller sold me. The lower bush that is currently on
> the car is not wide (huge!) but rather is fairly narrow (maybe 3/4 inch)
> and is housed in what looks to be a copper clip. The clip has two arms that
> fit into a slot in the lower end of the outer tube. This assembly (the felt
> bush and retaining clip) had slipped out and were dangling on the inner
> column, hence my rattly steering wheel.

My '67 has the same clip and narrow bush.

> Both Haynes and the BL workshop manual show that either the  narrow
> bush/clip assembly or the wide bush alone is proper for a Mk III Sprite (I
> think). My question is, is one better than the other, since I can do either
> at this point (the bushes in the car look pretty new and in good shape)?

If you are SURE that the old bushings do not have excessive play when
installed, I would just put everything back to gether and somehow make
sure the clip can't fall out again.
However, a steering column that feels play-free when removed can have
considerable slop when you yank on it with the added lever of a steering
wheel etc.

> OTOH, the "draught excluder" (rubber bellows that fits at the firewall) is
> pretty shot. Any reason to buy new rather than make do with the old?
> (safety, comfort, etc)?

I believe that this piece is what causes my steering to clunk. It insulates
the tube from the body.  I will replace my split one when I replace the
bushings.

> Finally, should the splines of the pinion stub and lower end of the
> steering column be greased (similar to what is done with wire wheel
> splines?)

Couldn't hurt, since the pinch bolt is not only a pinch bolt but also
engages a depression on the stub so it couldn't slip off even when loose,
correct?

                                                           '67 Sprite