Re: steering shaft bushings II

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: steering shaft bushings II
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 23:43:31 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, ascurtis@lr.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Jeff Boatright wrote:
> nut departs! But far worse than this is the various stresses applied to the
> bolt. A bolt and nut should be a tension solution. This is the case here in
> that the bolt and nut compress the split collar at the end of the steering
> column onto the splined pinion stub. The stub diameter is oversized with a
> groove in its perpendicular axis. The theory (according to Ulix, and I
> agree) is the that the bolt shaft rides in the groove so that even if the
> nut loosens, the steering column remains engaged to the splined pinion stub
> as long as the bolt rides in the groove.  But think about this. Everytime
> you hit a bump, you pull on the wheel, which transmits sheer directly to
> that bolt due to this arrangement. Everytime you have to slam on your
> brakes,  the whole momemtum of your upper body is checked by your pushing
> on the steering wheel, which transmits sheer directly to that bolt also.
> Bolts are designed for tension, not sheer.

Jeff, you are correct, except that your argument only holds for the loose
bolt scenario.  As long as the bolt is tight, all reasonable axial forces
will be transmitted by friction in the splines.  So then, let me reverse
my opinion from earlier today: don't lubricate the splines so that they
can better transmit the forces and don't start sliding on each other.

Don't ask me engineering questions on the weekend :-)

                                                           '67 Sprite