Re: Automatic Wiper Parking !!!!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Automatic Wiper Parking !!!!
From: Chuck Simmers <Chuck_Simmers@ccm.ch.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 98 15:35:00 PST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
There should be three wires going to a single-speed wiper motor. One is earth
(your polarity of choice), one is hot when the switch is operated, and the last
one (the magic one) is hot ALWAYS.
Here is the way the motor "parks". Inside the motor is a set of contacts that
make an electrical connection whenever the wipers are NOT parked. When the
wipers move to a park position, the contacts break.
So, when the switch is turned off, if the wipers are not parked, the motor will
continue to run until it seeks and finds this park posistion, breaks contact,
and stops.
Most likely, your motor either does not have a good connection in the "ALWAYS
HOT" terminal, or the internal switch is buggered. The internal switch contacts
can be seen if you carefully remove the wiper motor gearbox cover plate.

Hope this helps,
Chuck Simmers

Having owned my 1977 Midget for 8 years I discovered today that the wiper=
are supposed to park themslves in the proper place when you switch them o=
ff
!!
Mine don't, and  I have got pretty slick at getting them to stop in the
"park" position (lots of practice in rainy wet UK !)  I think I would mis=
the entertainment value if they were fixed.
But How ?
My single brain cell cannot grasp the concept of an electric motor that
goes on running after you switch off the power.  Is it sort of X - files
technology ?  Even smarter is the idea that those wipers work out just ho=
much longer to run for before they stop in just the rigt place.
Now I can accept that for a "new" car that has the benefit of silicon chi=
technology, but in a 20 year old car ???

Guy