Re[2]: Fasteners

To: <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, <jphender@soli.inav.net>
Subject: Re[2]: Fasteners
From: "Hal Cummings"<halc@mazda.genauto.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 98 10:58:21 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
     Grades refer to the tensile strength of the fastener.

     Bolts are generally marked with hashes on the head in a radial
     pattern, higher grades of fasteners having more marks, and more
     tensile strength.

     When you torque a fastener, what you are really doing is stretching
     the unit to its proper tensioned length, with the torque a convenient
     method of determination. This ensures that the fastener will not
     loosen inappropriately or fail due to over stress.

     Different grades of fasteners are made of different alloy steels, with
     varying amounts of carbon, moly, etc. which are quenched and tempered.
      Very high tensile fasteners are also specially plated with various
     flavors of zinc chromates for corrosion resistance and to facilitate
     proper torque levels without having the head twist off (lubricated in
     other words).

     Some super duty fasteners are matched sets of components (bolt,
     washers and nut) and exceed 180,000 PSI tensile strength.

     Stainless steel is not always the correct option here, although using
     it for exhaust applications is cool.

     When I build a motorcycle (one of my other afflictions) I use aircraft
     grade SS nuts and bolts, mainly for strength and because SS polishes
     up like chrome.  Boy does that bill hurt!

     For the complete skinny, get a machinists handbook such as is sold by
     Griot's Garage, or get your hands on a good vendor's catalog such as
     McMaster-Carr (908-329-3200, the ultimate toy store for tools and
     such).

     Never use less than a grade 5 bolt (usually 3 hashes) on any
     automotive application and you should be safe.  Internal engine,
     suspension and other strength-critical applications warrant more
     attention to detail.  I used grade 8s when replacing the spring-pan HW
     on my front end and the brake backing plate HW on the rear axel, for
     example.

     I know there are a couple of MEs out there who will probably provide
     more info...

     Hal