Re: brake oddity

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: brake oddity
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:35:42 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Jeff Boatright wrote:
>> I've got the car on stands now and am agoing to take the brakes apart for
>> inspection. is there anything I should look for? Has anyone ever
>> experienced this, and if so, how did you fix it?
>
>It sounds like your brake adjuster may not be working properly.  Check to
>see how close the brakes are adjusted.  If a few clicks on the adjuster
>does not cause them to drag noticeably, then there was a problem before.
>--
>        Matt Liggett, SysAdmin
>        Kiva Networking
>
>  [ --> Spammers please send to spam@elise.kiva.net to be blocked <-- ]

Matt,

Thanks. I think the adjuster is screwy. A few clicks and it locks the
brakes. Keep adjusting and suddenly the wheel is free again. I can do this
over and over, always adjusting in the same direction, getting the brakes
to lock, then turn free, until finally they clamp thoroughly.and further
adjustment is not possible.

Is there a fix (ie, a common solution for a well-known problem), or should
the entire mechanism be replaced?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Jeff

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html