Re: brake oddity

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: brake oddity
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 16:10:36 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jeff Boatright wrote:

> Hello Spridgeteers!
>
> Occassionally when applying the brakes smoothly to come to a stop when
> backing, I will hear a clunk and then the brakes grab hard, stopping the
> car immediately. Sometimes it is then very difficult to continue backing
> even after taking my foot of the brake. Obviously something is locking up.
> It sounds like the left rear brake. If I then move forward and apply brakes
> and then release them, I can back again. However, if I just move forward
> without applying brakes and releasing, I cannot go back. The brakes (moving
> backwards) are still locked, but apparently not going forwards (though they
> may be dragging without my being able to tell).
>
> I've got the car on stands now and am agoing to take the brakes apart for
> inspection. is there anything I should look for? Has anyone ever
> experienced this, and if so, how did you fix it?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jeff

> Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
> http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html

Jeff

Open up the brakes, check the 2 upper brake springs, there is a right and left
spring. It
is the spring with an offset in it.
Sounds like it may be grabbing in reverse. These springs are supposed to go up
and over
the hub, you will see it when you take it apart.

Also as for the adjusters, pull out the wedges at the adjuster mechanism and
check for
wear. The may be worn out. Either replace the wedges or fill them with weld and
file back
to the correct tapper.
The adjuster screws tend to grind down the wedges.

Good luck
--
Frank Clarici
Seeing all of you at Sprite Rush 98