Primer for repainting?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Primer for repainting?
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com (Richard L. Bergstrom)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:01:39 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello all!

I am about to start the refinishing of my 74 Midget shell.

It is basically rust free (surprise!) with some surface rust, but no
perforations in floors, rockers, sills, or spring boxes.  It is TOTALLY
stripped of hardware...I mean there is nothing left to unbolt right now.
 I am very glad I have one in assembled condition as I didn't take this
one apart...what a puzzle.

What I need is suggestions for a good aerosol primer that I can put over
prepped cleaned areas that  will provide protection until I can put a top
coat on and not react with that topcoat.

I have heard a self etching primer called "Marhide" was used on some of
the areas the PO had already wire brushed, prepped and primed.  (I am
going to redo that work since it is a relaltively small area)

I'd like to do the final coat myself as well.  I have a compressor,
access to decent spray equipment and an HVLP system for the final
work...but not for the months that I'll slowly be working on the car.
That is why I need a recommendation for a high quality aerosol primer
that will hold me over until I can do the final prime/sand/ repeat until
smooth and then shoot color.

Any recommendations on paint as well?

Ric Bergstrom
Richmond, VA
1973 Midget  1275                   '88 240 Volvo            '92 F150
1974 Midget  1275  (currently in many little boxes)
Central Virginia MG Classics