Re: Primer for repainting?

To: "Richard L. Bergstrom" <ric_bergstrom@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Primer for repainting?
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:59:35 -0500
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Ric!  I'll give you my experience, but I'm not sure how applicable it
will be for you.  I stripped my '73 down to the bodyshell also (I made
dollies for the front and back so I could roll 'er in and out of the
garage).  My car also had very little serious rust, but I worked on one
section at a time, and it took almost 3 years to finish the job.  Where
there was rust, I stripped the surface to bare metal and removed the rust
with sandpaper, wire brushing, and metal prep solution.  To prevent rust
from forming after I had moved on to another panel, I sprayed Plastikote
sandable gray primer (3 coats) on the surface just treated.  This worked
for me, since I never had to go back and re-treat for rust in the same spot
twice.  I used a PPG lacquer system, consisting of two red-oxide primer
coats, a sealer coat, four coats of color, and six coats of clear.  I
painted it on my driveway, using a regular (non-HVLP) gun.  I had never
painted a car before, but it turned out, in my opinion, better than I could
have got with a professional job.  The post-painting polishing made it look
like glass.  There have been no incompatibility problems yet between the
Plastikote and the PPG system.

BTW, when I disassembled my car, I made a detailed step-by-step procedure
as I removed each part.  "Re-assembly is a direct reversal of disassembly"
worked just great for me in this case.  I have those procedures written
down, if you think they might help you re-assemble your car.  Just let me
know.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain