Re: where to pull

To: Matt Liggett <mliggett-receive-spridgets@elise.kiva.net>
Subject: Re: where to pull
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:18:43 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Matt Liggett wrote:

> I've got everything disconnected and a hoist rented until Monday.  Engine
> stand is put together.  Now, where should I attach the chain to pull the
> engine.  The thing that came with the hoist is a simple chain with
> brackets on the ends.  You can run a bolt through the bracket, but there
> are no hooks, so you can't just hook any hole.  Which 2 places work best?
> Should I get some hooks instead?
>
> Next question will be where should I bolt the engine up to the stand?
> It's a cheap Harbor Freight engine stand with 4 adjustable arms.  What
> should I bolt the arms to?  Alternator bracket mounts (too close to each
> other, I think)?  Do I need to use all four?  How about the bellhousing?
>
> Thanks again.
> --
>         Matt Liggett, SysAdmin
>         Kiva Networking\

Matt

I use (when I don't lift them out by hand) the front and rear rocker studs
BUT place a large flat washer on it first.

As far as an engine stand, well I just flip em upside down on the
workbench. I never owned a stand. I do own a lift but I find it much
quicker to just yank the engine out manually. I pulled mine (again) for the
third time in 2 weeks in as much time as it takes to set up the hoist.
I do need a helper to replace the engine though, some one with a rope
holding up the tranny shaft from inside the car.

When I finally wreck my back, maybe I'll use the lift more often.
But for now from a drivable car to an engine upside down on the workbench
in about 30 minutes, I still like my way.

Good luck

--
Frank Clarici
Seeing all of you at Sprite Rush 98