Re: Weber Help / SUs

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Weber Help / SUs
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 03 Feb 1998 15:17:16 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca> writes:
>>Webers don't drift out of tune, are less prone to leaking
>>and produce more HP and they sound a whole lot better :-)
>
>most serious engine guys can get more power out of a race engine with SU's
>than a single weber.  Comptune is an example.  But it takes a long time, a
>dyno, several thousands of dollars, and a skilled magician.  A webers big
>advantage is that you can tune it easily to suit a modified engine, and it's
>better than a stock SU.

        Huh?  Sounds pretty backwards to me.  From everything I've heard,
Weber's are a bitch to set up right, but make a bit more HP on highly
modified engines.  From my experience, SU's are far easier to set up,
though getting the last few percent out of them takes some work, but
they're more tractable than webers, doubly so if the setup isn't perfect.
Getting the needles exactly right requires dyno time and swapping or
careful filing (followed by selecting a needle that matches the filed
one(s)), compared to Weber swapping of chokes, jets, etc, etc and dyno
time.

        I had a friend (Dr. Bobwrench) who took a set of HS2's (originally
from a 1275) I'd tuned on a modified 948 Mk II Sprite.  He put them on his
racing GT6 and much to his surprise (and mine) they worked well with no
adjustments.  He probably was losing a few percent due to non-optimal
needles (and they're a bit small for 1 liter of engine apiece), but they
worked well enough to do a driving school with.  They didn't even need
resynchronization apparently.

        IMHO.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com