Re: AAAH! now what happened?

To: Amy Soich <casoich@sgi.net>
Subject: Re: AAAH! now what happened?
From: jphender@soli.inav.net
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 07:29:41 -0600 (CST)
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

> > starter go? Solenoid maybe?>
Yes, that's the solenoid.

And it's field coil return ("ground" to you and me) is through the
mounting plate to the chassis.  If that "connection" is dirty, the ground
connection is weak and may cause the solenoid to only partially engage.  I
had that problem once.  If it is buzzing, this is likely.

I also had the same sort of problem because my engine-chassis ground strap
which looks solid -- isn't.  (Frank mentioned this also) The bad noise is
the gears partially engaging.  I've heard it.  It is bad, bad, bad.

The other possibility (it's fooled me once, twice THREE times) is that the
battery terminals which look shiny and clean are just dirty enough between
the post and the lug to fake a starter problem.  Save yourself the later
embarrasment by cleaning them first.

Jim Henderson

'69 Sprite MKIV