1275 Engine Falling together!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1275 Engine Falling together!
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 21:16:54 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks for the responses to my "immediate" request regarding the Crankshaft
clearances.  After reading your responses, and re-reading the tech manuals
several times, I decided that the 0.002 clearance on the front and rear main
bearings were within the stated tolerance, and that the .003 clearance was
just close enough to the upper 0.0027 to go ahead and put it together.  New
everything--all bearings, etc.  I have not yet closed the engine, so
everything is still accessible if need be.

Not that the crank is in the engine and the mains are torqued to 60 ft.lb, The
crank turns freely and without binding--not as freely as a bicycle wheel, but
freely as long as it is pushed by hand.  I used a lubricant of about 2/3
Castrol 10W30 and 1/3 STP.  That thick mixture is probably providing some
resistance.  The camshaft is in place, and front plate and gasket are
installed.  The camshaft seems to have a good deal of front to back movement.
The crankshaft has very little or none.

Next step will be the rings, and installation of pistons/rods on the
crankshaft.  New rod bearings there as well.

Anybody see any glitches here? Anything I need to pay attention to?

----David
     --'67 Sprite MKIV, Vicky