Sprite or Lotus?

To: Ron Soave <redlotus@spacey.net>
Subject: Sprite or Lotus?
From: b-evans@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:14:29 -0800
Cc: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, "Nolan, Michael F." <Michael_Nolan@cuusa.com>, "'spridge'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> Ditto.  The Bugeye at 70 is more thrilling than the Lotus was at 100 - a
> much greater sensation of speed.  Plus you can do it all day everyday.

Phil Herold, who back in the early '60s owned Small Car Motors in
Memphis, raced a Lotus XI that had been previous been raced by Sterling
Moss.  Phil had some great campaigns in the Lotus, but really preferred
racing a Sprite.  It, he believed, was a lot more fun and represented a
greater challenge for the driver.  He also caused a lot of consternation
among the Memphis police by driving the Lotus on the "Raleigh-Bartlett
Road Course", otherwise known at the Raleigh-Bartlett public street
between the shop and his home.

> > Now, the Esprit on a deserted Florida road at 140

Ah, child's play.  Try the 140 on the narrow, stone wall-lined,
twisting, and turning country lanes of Norfolk, England.  Fortunately,
my friend who was driving was an official at Lotus and knew the roads.
Even so, the beautiful red Espirit with previously grey upholstery still
had yellow seats when I got out!

Bob Evans
Anaheim, California