Troubles with Tacho

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Troubles with Tacho
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:45:15 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I'm still trying to get the Tacho (it's an electronic one) on my Mk 2
Sprite to work.  It never has worked in the months that I have had the car.

Looking under the dash there is a spade connector on the back of the Tacho,
and a green wire nearby.  I've pushed the green wire onto the connector
(this seems to tie in with the wiring diagram I've got).  Apart from the
instrument light there did not appear to be any other connections until I
started untangling the mass of wires under there.

I then found a white wire which has a loop in it which is totally enclosed
in a block of opaque nylon.  Is this the other wire?  Does it connect to
the other side of the Tacho to the green wire?  Is it a case of putting it
on that thin threaded post and finding a small nut to secure it?  If so,
there is no obvious electrical contact, does the thing just sense the
electrons whipping past (sorry -  I'm a sociologist, not an engineer:-)  ) ?

As you might expect, I did try connecting it but nothing happened.  When I
checked that there is a white wire at the coil, there was (on the oppisite
terminal to the one which leads to the distributor) but there was an
additional (blue) wire connected next to the white wire.  It has obviously
been added by a previous owner and goes from the coil to thin air near the
Tacho.  That is to say, it looks to me like someone tried to replace the
white wire with this blue one.  In the interests of experimentation I held
that (blue) wire to the thin threaded terminal, but nothing happened..

So far I haven't been able to get the Tach out of the wooden dash (see my
other post today) so I am keen to test the tacho in situ.  Can anyone tell
me how to do this please? And/or answer the questions above?

I appreciate the help.

Greg