Driveshaft alignment

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Driveshaft alignment
From: Heather & Joe Way <sierrasa@psln.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:49:30 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> If the alignments truly was important, wouldn't that imply that they
> balanced the drive shaft together with the differential input yoke and
> gear?
> I think that is highly improbable...
>
> Ulix

====
Improbable almost to the point of impossibility. U-joint phasing is very
important, but on one-piece driveshafts (with the slip fitting at the
trans output shaft) it's impossible to change the phasing; that's built
right into the shaft, and no marking is necessary. It is possible that
the driveshaft and the yoke at the trans end may have been balanced as a
unit; in that case it would be best to mark and reassemble the same when
installing a new u-joint. But every time I've seen instructions that
called for marking, they talked about maintaining phasing rather than
balance.

If the shaft is two-piece with the slip joint between, then it's
possible to change the phasing if you take the slip joint apart. These
are usually (maybe always) balanced together, so should be marked for
reassembly the same way.

In this specific instance, the question is about the assembly of the
rear joint to the diff input yoke. There is no need to be concerned
about which way it goes back together.
====

--
Heather & Joe Way