one for the gurus/slightly long noggin scratcher

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: one for the gurus/slightly long noggin scratcher
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 18:29:06 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello listees,

Well, I'm trying whether to rebuild my engine or buy a rebuilt
or do something in between, like just put in new bearings.
Several people on the list have been very helpful so far and I
am certainly grateful for their help.

The big question is whether the car burns oil or not, the answer
is *sometimes*, which is odd. Like tonite; drive to the burrito joint
with my girlfriend, she runs in, while I wait in the car, maybe
five minutes tops. I leave the engine running, oil pressure is
30 lbs/sqin idling, the engine is up to operating temp. As soon as
we go to pull away the biggest cloud of smoke starts coming out
of the tail pipe. I thought the car was on fire for a moment there
was so much smoke. I drive one block like this, smoke pouring out
the back of the car and then the smoke vanishes and we are back
to normal colorless exhaust.

The head on this car is a 4 month old VB rebuild. The engine has been
detoxed, it's a 1275, has a weber and a lcb header (in case that is helpful).

What is that smoke?? Has anyone experienced anything like this? If
I were burning oil or there was water (steam) in the exhaust, shouldn't
that be constant?

Thanks,

Robert Weeks
Durham NC