Re: Frt Wheel Bearings

To: john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com
Subject: Re: Frt Wheel Bearings
From: Bkitterer <Bkitterer@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 05:06:48 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
JB wrote

>  - - - It would seem from your experience that the FAG bearings were the
source
>of your problem.  Assuming you did everything by the "book" each time
>you tried the different bearings,(FAG and NSK)  I will presume I should
>stay away from FAG Wheel bearings.

JB

FAG bearings is an old and very reliable bearing company.  I think, and this
is just my opinion, that for some reason some wrong bearings have gotten into
the supply line.  I still have some old FAG bearings that worked just fine
years ago but they certainly look different than the recent (18 months ago)
ones that I received.  The Sprigets use side loaded (thrust) bearings because
of the axle / hub design.  Unlike many cars where the wheel bearings are just
a rolling mechanism the Spriget's bearings are subjected to heavy side loads.
This is the long way around to saying that if you have old bearings that
worked well and you get new bearings that look different  -  ask questions.
If they are the same manufacture check the bearing company part numbers
stamped into the side of the bearing race.  Even if everything about the
bearings seems OK and you have wheel wobble, change the bearings.  This
assumes that you are sure that the wobble is in the wheel bearings.  I have
had a wheel leave the car because the wheel bearings were not done correctly,
a most unpleasant experience.

JB wrote

>Sorry I forgot to ask this the first time.  In your article you mention
>tightening the axle nut to 25 - 65 ft/lbs. to "seat" the bearings.

>What is the final torque setting when everything is set?

JB,

Sorry there is no single number for the torque.  The BMC Workshop Manual say
to torque the nut to 25-65 ft/lbs. You need the nut to be tight and have a
opening in the casteld nut line up with the hole in the axle.  My person
preference is to torque to about 50+ ft/lbs to be sure that the bearings are
fully seated, just in case they did not make it all the way when they were
pressed into the hub.  Then apply a little more or less depending on the
location of the hole in the axle and how free the wheel turns.

Hope that helps.

Bob and Ann
60 Sprite