Re: 72 Distributor Vacuum Advance Question

To: chuck ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: 72 Distributor Vacuum Advance Question
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:45:44 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chuck,
1) did you plug the fitting on the intake?  If not, tha intake in revs
probably comes from the extra air going into the intake fitting.

2) shut the engine off (if it's still running :-) and pull the dist cap.
Now suck on the tube and see if the base plate even moves.  I have read
that if you can't move the plate by sucking, it doesn't move freely enough
(or you smoke to much).  Is this true?  I don't know, others will.

Ulix

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, chuck ciaffone wrote:

> I've been spending a lot of time lately tuning
> and retuning the beast. Last night I pulled the
> vacuum advance tube from the manafold to test the
> advance mechanism.
>
> When I pulled the tube off the manifold, I could hear the
> vacuum, and the revs increased.
>
> When I sucked thru the vacuum tube, while it was
> connected to the distributor, nothing happened - no
> increase in revs.
>
> Seems reversed to me. What should I be looking for? Neither
> Haynes nor Bentley are helpful about this.
>
> Chuck (chuckc@ibm.net OR chuck.ciaffone@wg.com)

                                                           '67 Sprite