Re: 78 Midget Questions.....

To: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 78 Midget Questions.....
From: Eric Mumford <mumford@rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:36:24 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> Any problems with using the flat-top pistons (used in '75 ?) in an
> engine originally fitted with the low-compression dished pistons?

I haven't had any problems.  I'm running them in my '79 0.020" over.

> My concern is with valve clearance and/or other valve train
> considerations…….

The valves clear.

> Anyone out there swapped for the hi-compression
> pistons?  What pistons did the Spitfire 1500's use?

I'm thinking they were probably identical to the ones the Midgets used
but I don't know.

> I've got the water temp gage with the electric sender

How is that different than the stock sender that comes with the 1500?

> Did the 78 Midgets come with a full size Rostyle spare, or a "donut"
> spare?

Both of mine (both MkIV Midgets - 77 and 79) came with a rostyle spare.

> are the threads on the existing oil pressure warning light switch
> something normal

Don't mess with the threads on the oil pressure mount.  You'd be putting
yourself through too much of a hassle.  Simply get an early 1500, one
made 1975-1977, most of these had oil pressure gauges on them and
instead of having an oil sender had a little pipe fitting that screws
right on so you can hook a little hose up to it and run it through the
firewall into an oil pressure gauge.  I'm in the process of doing this
myself.

 __.o,\____  *       Eric Mumford          *   ('v')  -> BA-KUK!
/__ \ /  _ ) *      mumford@rpi.edu        *  ((   ))
 (+)`---(+)  * http://travolta.stu.rpi.edu * --"---"--o