Crankshaft question

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Crankshaft question
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 09:09:02 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Finished disassembling a 1275 last night.  On the center main journal on
the crankshaft, the oil hole is much bigger than on the two ends, slightly
oblong shaped, and slightly chamfered.  It would make sense that its
bigger, since I think it sees more load than the ends, but wondering if
it's normal?  The center main bearing was in slightly better shape than the
other two.  It doesn't appear that this engine was ever apart before.  Will
mic the crank today, but it looks fine otherwise.

Frank, you were right (of course) - it was the dipstick tube end I found,
and the holes in the harmonic balancer were there (it pulled right off by
hand).  Most useful tool so far has been a friend's industrial parts
washer.  Whole block fits easily.  The machinist's hot tank will have an
easy time of it.