Bugeye Update and Questions

To: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Bugeye Update and Questions
From: chasdoug@gte.net
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:49:18 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Have the bugeye running fairly well, put a couple hundred miles on it in
the last week or so.

The overheating bearings turned out to be poorly assembled brakes.  I
hadn't got the shoe return springs on the farthest hole (because it was
such a bitch to do so).  The brakes were dragging all the time, even
after I had backed them off seriously.  And, since I had assembled both
sides the same, both sides were dragging and the car didn't "pull".
Just a weekend mechanic error.

After stripping another "dynamo"-to-tach-cable gear box, I also replaced
the tach cable.  By using threadlock "blue" (and allowing it to cure
completely) I've stopped the locknut from spinning, but the gearbox
itself still spins a bit.  I finally hooked that piece of coathanger
wire (that was holding the original on) back up to keep it from
spinning. Gak.

I replaced the gearbox oil with synthetic 75w-90.  Very nice change!
Thanks for the suggestion, whoever it was that mentioned it.  Smoother
shifting and quieter when hot.  One of the nicest easy (other than
getting that damn fill plug started back on it's threads) changes I've
made for driveability.

Questions:
The front bracket on my "dynamo" is broken (the kind with the mechanical
tach take-off).  I think the bearing is not so good, as well.  I picked
up a Midget generator with no take-off (thanks Jim!).  Does anyone know
how compatible the innards are?  Can I use the front bracket and innards
from the Midget generator, just keeping the minimum hardware for the
mechanical tach connection?

I have a problem going up long steep hills.  A 1 mile, 9% grade, will
cause the engine to start misfiring about halfway up.  As I increase
throttle and lose speed, it will then start backfiring.  When I limp
over the top of the hill, the engine gradually recovers, and then runs
fine again.  Do those symptoms suggest anything to anyone?  My guess is
that it is something in the fuel/air setup, but I need some help pinning
down what to check or where to look.  Could it be running too rich and
flooding?  That's my first guess only because I really have no clue
whether I got the mixture set right after rebuilding the carbs, and
because my gas mileage doesn't seem to be that good (although it's been
hard to measure given my other problems, see "bearings and brakes"
above).

Finally, does anyone know of anyplace in the Seattle area that can do a
front end alignment on a bugeye?  All the regular tire places have
machines that my little car won't fit on.  I had to set the toe-in
myself after changing the tie rod gaiters, and it really doesn't feel
right to me.  It feels like the left front tire wants to "tuck under"
when turning hard right, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for all your help!  This list is great!  Sorry I won't be at
Sprite Rush '98, but I couldn't talk my wife into letting me drive from
Seattle.

Chas Douglass -- Seattle WA