Re: 5 Spd Conversion???

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 5 Spd Conversion???
From: Jaral48462 <Jaral48462@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:07:38 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-03-19 12:01:04 EST, ulix@u.washington.edu wrote:

<< Ron, you really should email Bill about this  But if the case is very
similar, it shouldn't matter.   My tranny has a backup light switch and
another one that I think indicates  neutral (for a starter lockout).  Can't
remember where the drain is.>>

Have been trying to get in touch with him for several days now.  Apparently
his fax and phone are the same no.  Everytime we called the fax machine was on
and couldn't get through.  Did catch up with him today and we discussed the
two transmissions.  He says the one with the horizontal drain plug won't work.
There are some interferences to the adaptor bracket and the drain plug will
interfere with a crossmember.  Also you can't get the drain plug out if you
need to drain the fluid.  The correct one to use for the conversion is with
the vertical drain plug.  It should have an "F" or "FA" stamped in the bell
housing at the top surface just behind the mounting face.  The one with the
horizontal drain plug is a Datsu 210  5 Spd. transmission but for Canadian
cars and is has a different case.  It would have an "FS" stamped in it.

<<Did you have yours rebuilt?  I would be very interested in knowing how
 much a job like that costs! >>

I just took it into the Datsun Doctor this morning.  He is going to tear it
down and inspect all the components.  Replace anything that looks suspicious,
bearings, synchros,seals and such.  Cost will be $232 for the tear down,
inspection and rebuild plus any new parts that need to be replace.  He also
suggested to use a Honda Oil Pan Drain plug for plugging the backup switch
hole instead of cutting it off and filling it with silicone.  Might have to
grind the head down a little but it will be solid metal and less chance of
having a leak.

Thanks for yourreply.

Ron