G.M. helpline -- No LBC content (but funny nonetheless)

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: G.M. helpline -- No LBC content (but funny nonetheless)
From: Stan Fickes <fickes@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:37:16 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
General Motors doesn't have a "help line" for people who don't know how to
drive, because people don't buy cars like they buy computers -- but imagine
if they did . . .

HELPLINE: "General Motors Helpline, how can I help you?"
CUSTOMER: "I got in my car and closed the door, and nothing happened!"
HELPLINE: "Did you put the key in the ignition slot and turn it?"
CUSTOMER: "What's an ignition?"
HELPLINE: "It's a starter motor that draws current from your battery and
turns over the engine."
CUSTOMER: "Ignition? Motor? Battery? Engine? How come I have to know all of
these technical terms just to use my car?"

HELPLINE: "General Motors Helpline, how can I help you?"
CUSTOMER: "My car ran fine for a week, and now it won't go anywhere!"
HELPLINE: "Is the gas tank empty?"
CUSTOMER: "Huh? How do I know?"
HELPLINE: "There's a little guage on the front panel, with a needle, and
markings from 'E' to 'F.' Where is the needle pointing?"
CUSTOMER: "It's pointing to 'E.' What does that mean?"
HELPLINE: "It means that you have to visit a gasoline vendor, and purchase
some more gasoline. You can install it yourself, or pay the vendor to
install it for you."
CUSTOMER: "What!? I paid $12,000 for this car! Now you tell me that I have
to keep buying more components? I want a car that comes with everything
built in!"

HELPLINE: "General Motors Helpline, how can I help you?"
CUSTOMER: "Your car sucks!"
HELPLINE: "What's wrong?"
CUSTOMER: "It crashed, that's what went wrong!"
HELPLINE: "What were you doing?"
CUSTOMER: "I wanted to run faster, so I pushed the accelerator pedal all
the way to the floor. It worked for a while, and then it crashed -- and now
it won't start!"
HELPLINE: "It's your responsibility if you misuse the product. What do you
expect us to do about it?"
CUSTOMER: "I want you to send me one of the latest versions that doesn't
crash anymore!"

HELPLINE: "General Motors Helpline, how can I help you?"
CUSTOMER: "Hi! I just bought my first car, and I chose your car because it
has automatic transmission, cruise control, power steering, power brakes,
and power door locks."
HELPLINE: "Thanks for buying our car. How can I help you?"
CUSTOMER: "How do I work it?"
HELPLINE: "Do you know how to drive?"
CUSTOMER: "Do I know how to what?"
HELPLINE: "Do you know how to drive?"
CUSTOMER: "I'm not a technical person! I just want to go places in my car!"
Stan Fickes        '65 Austin Healey Sprite
Software Engineer  '57 Chevrolet Bel Air
I-Cube, Inc.       '51 MGTD, '25 MG 14/28