LBC soubriqets

To: <dr.moses@juno.com>
Subject: LBC soubriqets
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:23:40 +0100
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I keep one foot in each camp as I have two Spridgets and two Triumphs.
The 1959 Bug-Eye which I had in 1962 is called 'Tadpole' because it looks
like a baby frog
The 1965 1100 Midget is called 'Bark'. This is because it still has the
Donald Healey "high performance exhaust system" (as does 'Tadpole') except
they sound entirely different.
The 1968 Mk 3 Spitfire is known as 'Oik.'  This name (for the benefit of
those who may not understand it) is a peculiarly British term for something
of questionable pedigree and relates entirely to the Spit's roadholding
properties - or rather the lack of them - in wet weather.
The 1969 Mk II GT6 is known as 'Hissing Sid' because a six cylinder lump is
rather more sophisticated than a four and the intake roar from the two
Strombergs tends to drown out the exhaust.
John Macartney
Now in the same museum as the cars he sold when they were new