Re: gas mileage...

To: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Subject: Re: gas mileage...
From: Les Myer <lmyer@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 21:39:23 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>However, shouldn't that be either 4.22:1 (pre-cutover) or 3.9:1 (post-
>cutover)?  ('67 could be either one, though supposedly few 1275/4.22's were
>made, I think.)  3.9:1 should give better cruising mileage, but less
>acceleration.  The difference (in mileage) may be small, though.
>
>--
>Randell Jesup

Absolutely right - I'm blushing.  My Sprite does have the 4:22s - very
early 67.  Confused it with the 4:10/4:11 gear ratio combo in my 78 Bronco
(I have been working on the rear diff on it back in Nebraska when I'm there
and just bought another used pumpkin with gears yesterday to get it to
Michigan).  Previous owner apparently went boon-docking in the water, got
it in the rear end, and then let the vehicle sit until the gears rusted up
and eventually pitted.  I had the wrong set of gears on the brain for some
reason.  Just shipped the diff pumpkin today by UPS - too heavy to put in
the overhead bin - it's a real chunk of metal.  72 pounds, $24!  I was
pleasantly surprised since I thought their limit was 70 pounds - turns out
it is 150 for ground.

Les